Tuesday, September 8, 2015

There's Never Time for the DMV (Yes Department of Motor Vehicles)






I usually don't do this because I know it hurts so bad. That's putting things off until the very last minute. But despite experience and my learned ways as a professional organizer and productivity consultant, I am still human and I still don't like going to the Department of Motor Vehicles aka DMV (or ironing...) these are things I'd rather not do. But I make myself do them, I plan for them.

Until I don't.

I rationalize it away (mistake number 1). "There are more important things to do than sit at the DMV for 2 hours". That's true...but...

I ignore it and conveniently forget to schedule a time to do it -- avoidance (mistake number 2).

I research the heck out of it. "There has to be a way I can do this online. .." (mistake number 3).

Then the day comes I can no longer wait. Well I could but I'd pay fines and get in trouble with the law and stuff. No bueno.

My mistakes catch up with me and my heart rate quickens and my breath shortens and I could kick myself for trying to SQUEEZE this dreaded task in my week when I could have done it weeks ago.

This rarely happens to me and if it didn't you'd have to check me for an on/off switch or a stick up my...(use your imagination).  We are all human we procrastinate things we hate to do. Which is why I have a job.

People hate organizing. They get overwhelmed by it. They are uneducated about it. It's too emotional and for goodness sakes they don't understand what to do with a few boxes /bags/closets/bins of STUFF. Clothes, paper, their time. It's emotional and it's overwhelming and we can be dumbfounded about it.

It's ok.

There is never time for the DMV. But, the reality is. You have to make time.

Andrea Hancock is a professional organizer, blogger, and speaker that assists and empowers busy professionals and business owners create and maintain organizational systems that work for them personally.  Andrea is also founder of Dexterous Organizing, a results-oriented professional organizing company.  To receive free productivity and organizing tools, or to venture into a more organized home, office, and life, click "I'm ready to get started!" at www.DexterousOrganizing.com or by phone at (703) 606-8968.

No comments:

Post a Comment